Thursday, January 7, 2010

What do you do with your fondue oil?

I used olive oil to fondue. It worked great. My husband dipped his meat into BBQ sauce and fondued, while the rest of us just used the plain oil. Anyway, my husband says that you can save the oil and it'll get better and better the more you use it. We dipped beef and chicken. I thought you can only save oil in which you've fried potatoes. What say you?What do you do with your fondue oil?
It will absorb the flavors of the foods that are dipped in it.





It's like reusing bacon grease to cook with (only the bacon grease burns).





Olive oil has a high heat retention, so it won't ';cook'; and it will be better the more you use it.What do you do with your fondue oil?
I would imagine it would be the same as saving deep fry oil. You have to strain it to get any little bits out, put in a container and keep in the fridge. I would use my DF oil for ages that way. The only time I wasn't able to use it again for food was when I made donuts and the spices flavored the oil. But then again I just used it next time I did donuts.
You can reuse any type of oil no matter what you've cooked in it. You're supposed to filter it out and reuse it (but I don't) and you can keep reusing it until it looses flavor and/or starts to smell bad.
My husband is a former employee of Dante's Down the Hatch in Atlanta...a very well known fondue restaurant in Atlanta, GA. I am not sure what exactly they use there but when we do fondue at home he always heats up chicken stock on our stove top and then moves it to the fondue set-up...(Saves the sterno-cans)





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment