Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can I substitute a flavored apple sauce for oil in brownies?

Ok so I am craving brownies and happen to have a box mix on hand. I want to use it up but have NO OIL!!! I have subbed applesauce before but I only have pomegranate-flavored applesauce on hand. Do you think that you would be able to taste that in the brownies? Or do you think I would be ok here?Can I substitute a flavored apple sauce for oil in brownies?
Applesauce is commonly used as a substitute for oil in many recipes to lower fat content. I think it will come out ok. Maybe the pomegranate will give it a nice flavor.Can I substitute a flavored apple sauce for oil in brownies?
You need to know the chemical reaction in the process of baking. Apple sauce and oil have virtually no properties (for the purpose of baking) in common.


Use butter or margarine (same amounts as oil that is called for).
Applesauce will work, but it will make the brownies more cake like. You can use margerine or butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment