Thursday, January 7, 2010

How much do you charge for an oil painting?

A friend of mine asked me to do 2 paintings for his wife for Christmas. I am skilled with a BA in art. I have a realistic style. It takes me over 20 hours to do a painting, but then I think I'm just a slow worker. How much do I ask for?How much do you charge for an oil painting?
Without any samples of your work to check out that would be hard to say. The fact that you have a BA in art should not be considered in the value of a painting. It's the quality of the work you do that determines its' value. For my friends (good friends) i usally charge them 3/4 or half of what a comparable work would go for in my area. If they are friends that i know can afford it, it's always 3/4.How much do you charge for an oil painting?
Depending on the size, I would charge anywhere from $200 to $500 a piece. As artists, we set the price for the stuff we sell. You can charge more if you are in high demand, but when you are starting out, never go too low or else folks will get over on you and you will sell yourself short.
may be $200 onwards its depends on the art
hi :


well the cost of a painting depends on :


1/ the level of every artist painter .( the artists rating )


2/ the size of the oil painting ,


3/the technique ,





but normally there's a stuff artists solution to determine the price of a painting , just e-mail me on this addresse , tbenadada@yahoo.fr and i will send this formula on a world file
calculate in how much time was spent on the painting and the cost of the materials used
I have not done any oil paintings for years. I like watercolors and acrylics better. I use Chinese paints too. I used casein paints for murals. I paint on leather jackets with acrylic leather paints. I charge $3000 for a detailed portrait. I have never seen anyone else do such paintings, for it is quite difficult. For simpler cartoons on kids' jackets, I may charge as little as $200. It depends upon how much time it takes. I would charge the same for oil paintings as for acrylics.

No comments:

Post a Comment